In the spring of 2012, the Connecticut Green Bank, in partnership with SmartPower launched “Solarize Connecticut”.
The goal of this residential solar program is to dramatically advance the adoption of residential solar photovoltaic (PV) systems by lowering acquisition costs and making solar more affordable to residents using the Solarize “group purchasing” model.
The Solarize Connecticut program consists of 1) The opportunity for “zero down” financing; 2) on-the-ground outreach coordinated by SmartPower and provided by participating towns and volunteers; 3) One competitively-selected solar installer, using pre-approved equipment; and 4) an end date for the offer, motivating customers to take action.
In just 3 years – and with investments of less than $3.5 million – the SmartPower Solarize campaigns have resulted in over $100 million of installed residential solar energy.
The numbers at a glance:
- $100 million of solar installed
- Less than $3.5 million invested
- More than 3500 residential homes “solarized”
- More than 20,000 residents inquired about solar energy for their homes
- More than 28 MW installed
- More than 25,000 metric tons of Green House Gases Reduced Annually.
Indeed, SmartPower has successfully launched and run Solarize campaigns in other states – from South Carolina and North Carolina to Massachusetts, New York and New Hampshire.